August 13, 2018
Welcome to the new school year! We are excited and anxious to get the new year started. The Meridian School Board and administration have made efforts over the summer to reduce class sizes at the elementary level and to increase our capacity to provide additional services for all of our students’ social and emotional needs. The purpose of this letter is to give you an outline of a new position of Restorative Justice Coordinator that we have created specifically to help us address the various social and emotional issues with students that then effect their academic success.
Our hope is that these positions will help us improve our overall school climate, help us get to know the needs of our students better, be able to respond to their social and emotional needs in a more proactive way and improve our communications with parents and guardians.
The Restorative Justice Coordinator at Meridian Middle School and Meridian High School is Jennifer Greenwood. Lindsey Sheppard will be the Restorative Justice Coordinator/PreK Parent Educator at Meridian Elementary School. A summary of job responsibilities for the Restorative Justice Coordinator is listed below.
A summary of job responsibilities:
1) Working with students who have been suspended and following up with them after their return to school to ensure that the behavior doesn’t become a habit.
2) Analyzing data to catch students who are struggling with grades, behavior, student attendance and working with those students to find solutions to their issues.
3) Working with victims and those who victimize students to ensure that those victimized have tools to not be victims, feel that justice has been restored and all students involved can learn from the situation.
4) Helping administrators ensure that all students have a trusted adult they can confide in and encourage students to be involved in school activities.
5) Lead “Students of Concern Meetings” to help struggling students.
6) Be a Liaison between parents, students and teachers working through a variety of issues that pop up with students.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any particular questions about the Restorative Justice Coordinator position please feel free to contact me or the building principals.
Dan Brue, Superintendent