Each year the Meridian School District administrators meet with transportation personnel to review and possibly revise policies regarding how the Meridian School District operates its transportation services. After much discussion, with the safety of our students as our main priority, we have made the following changes for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Beginning with the upcoming school year, students will be allowed to be dropped off/picked up from a maximum of two addresses.
- If a student has multiple addresses where the district will drop off and/or pick up students, the school district will require that there be a set schedule for this routine. (For example, a student will be picked up at Address A on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Address B on Thursday and Friday.)
- The school district will accept up to two changes to the drop off/pick up location per school year. If additional changes are necessary to either the drop off/pickup locations or the schedule, the changes must be approved by the appropriate school principal and the transportation director.
- A designated caregiver will be required to verify that they have taken responsibility via signing a check out sheet for all afternoon Prek students who ride a regular bus route after school. This will require the designated caregiver to physically be at the drop off location at the appropriate time. This is a continuation of our policy for AM PreK students.
- Students will only be permitted to ride their assigned buses. Buses will be assigned during the student registration process at the beginning of the school year. As a result, the district will not allow requests for students to ride home with others.
As a friendly reminder, parents are always welcome to pick up their child after school. In addition, parents could also meet the student at the designated drop off location. The school district asks that parents to call the school and the bus transportation office (217-764-3896) by noon if they wish to pick up their child rather than send them on the bus after school.
Thank you for taking the time to familiarize yourself with the bus procedural changes for the upcoming school year. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call Dan Brue, Superintendent (217-764-5269), Paula Ray, Bus Transportation Director (217-764-3896) or the appropriate school principal.
Dan Brue, Superintendent